Tuesday, February 23, 2021

So I Played MÖRK BORG...

-Pick Up Graves Left Wanting Here-

And it was fun!

Thanks to the always great Fantastic Dimensions I got to play in a one shot using the hot new item in the OSR scene, MÖRK BORG. A game so head turning it even brought Grognardia back from the dead! We played the Fleshworks and Graves Left Wanting modules. Here's some of my thoughts on Mork Borg, real quick.

What I didn't like about Mork Borg:
  • This is probably more of a 3rd party problem than official stuff but designers need to playtest their stuff, even a little helps.
  • At no point in the session did I feel, in danger? With the way armor works and MB having luck points I felt pretty confident going into each fight. Also you can heal after each combat, for zero cost? I think? Idk gotta read the rule book again. Then again I did die at the end, so maybe its just me...
  • Boss Fights. At the end of Graves Left Wanting there's a boss fight, that you have to beat in order to complete the adventure. So Mork Borg is a combat as sport game, not very OSR but that's ok. I'm not sure Borg even labels itself as OSR, more OSR-adjacent.
  • DC (DR in MB) checks always felt lame to me, idk why. Maybe because I have horrible flashbacks about my old Pathfinder games.
  • The setting. You would think a hyper edgelord like me would enjoy the hell out of MB's setting but eh, i'm just not feeling it.

What I did like about Mork Borg:
  • The magic system, very few spells makes them seem actually rare and mystical. I also like that anyone can find a scroll and use it. 
  • The calendar system. You can easily staple this onto a b/x system and I think I will. 
  • How easy it was to learn, I just skimmed the rules and was ready to go.
  • The art is sweet and the general vibe of Mork Borg is great.
Cool game and fun to play but I don't think I'll ever have a desire to actually run it. I'll definitely steal some stuff from it for my home games, like the calendar and misery mechanics.

Oh and here's the vid to the game I played in if you're curious. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree. It was fun, but I won't be buying it or running it. I like the art, but not the layout, way too busy for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much. I wouldn't mind playing in more games but that's about as far as I'll go with it.

      Delete