Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Contact Outer OSR SPHERES

Hello? Anybody there?

The OSR scene is an endless expanse of innumerable spheres connected by a thin sinew of a shared love of old school gaming. And it's just as splintered and distant as that sounds. I wrote this out to maybe help people better connect with the overall community, but we're a very opinionated people.

Here's all the spheres I know of and how to contact them.

[Note: Just a warning, some places tend to lean heavily left or right politically. I'm only discussing each purely on the fact that they contribute something (however little) to the OSR scene. Also they are in no particular order.]

The Blog-0-Sphere

A living fossil but still living, for now. The blog-o-sphere is in my opinion the best way to absorb OSR content. You can easily curate what you're reading and there's literally hundreds or even thousands of OSR blogs out there. Each with probably more content you could use in a lifetime. Seriously. Where to start though?

RPG PLANET collects a ton of blogs and displays them all on a "blogroll here". Go down the bloghole and see where it leads you!

and here's some legendary blogs to get you started:

Grognardia

Jeff's Gameblog

BRINEHOUSE

The Alexandrian

tenfootpole -FYI, this is the place to read OSR adventure reviews. Check out his greatest hits here to see what to buy.


Traditional Forums

Surprisingly there are still some active forums out there considering how dated the medium is. Here are a few:

RPGNET -while not a dedicated OSR forum you will some posts pop up every now and then. 

dragonsfoot.org -Heavy emphasis on "Old" in the OSR since the late Gygax himself would post here. One of the birth places of the OSR, next to blogs.

r/osr [reddit] -Reddit should probably be it's own category but I'll put it here since I consider it to be a traditional forum. That and this subreddit is the only OSR one I know of. r/osr is very active and great posts pop up pretty much daily. The negatives are the downvote brigades and very vocal energy vampires native to reddit.

Suggested by Scott Mob over on MeWe:

odd74 - od&d focused.

Knights & Knaves Alehouse -OSR focused forum. 

Discord

I really like discord but the discussions can be very hard to follow especially in larger servers. Here's some of the OSR related ones:

OSR Server -One of my favorite places to lurk, has a great collection of blogs in their blogroll channel and archive. Probably the most active OSR place after blogs.

Necrotic Gnome -I consider b/x to be the Rosetta Stone of the OSR and Necrotic Gnome's OSE is literally just b/x with a fresh paint job.

MÖRK BORG -The newest hot thing to infect the OSR, and for good reason.  

Melenosia -Run by the people who made Troika! One of the popular new wave OSR products. 

Exalted Funeral -Pretty much the place to easily  buy OSR stuff in the US. Actual store here.

Tenkar's Tavern - I dipped in for a bit for research purposes. Seems like a place that has discussions regarding the OSR. 

Discourse

I never heard of Discourse before this next entry but it's actually really interesting. A little wonky layout wise IMO but still really cool. 

The OSR Pit -While not as active as I'd like, I think this place has the potential to be the next hub for the OSR after the heat death of g+. In fact that's what it was made for, use it!

Facebook

Ugh Facebook. If ever there was a obvious mustache twirling evil mega-corp, FB would be it. But you can't deny how goddamn easy is it easy to use. Here's some decent groups to join.

Lamentations of the Flame Princess -I used to personally mod this group so I can attest to how great it is. Hyper focused on LotFP discussion with an almost no bullshit, relaxed userbase. If you like LotFP stuff you should be in this group. 

Dungeons & Dragons B/X (Moldvay / Cook & Marsh)  -A recent group I joined, seems chill so far. B/X stuff only. 

Old School Essentials -The place to talk shop about Old School Essentials.

Fantasy OSRs -Generic OSR group. All old systems and retro clones are allowed. 

Old School Gaming Rocks! -OSR focused, a bit slower than the others. 

OSR -There's a "main" OSR group on Facebook but I think they banned me so I can't post the link. Can't say why for sure but probably because I used to work for LotFP. If you're the admin or know the admin hit me up. I'm curious. 

Twitter

The twitter scene isn't really a fun place to be. It's full of hot takes, disk horses and people denouncing d&d just to help sell their games instead. Stay away, far, far away. Except for this bot that feeds you blogrolls from the OSR Discord, I just think its neat.
[Note: If you really think there is someone on there that's worth braving the twitter void let me know and I'll add them here.]

Here's a link to search #OSR on Twitter. I'll let you decide if it's worth it.

MeWe

A lot of OSR g+ refugees fled to this place, the so called next "big social media platform". A very small but dedicated community.

TTRPG Blogosphere -Another place people post their blogs. MeWe has its own unique community so you see some different blog faces here. 

OSR -One of the more active places on this index. I'm not a huge fan of MeWe but I think making an account just for this group is worth it. 


And I think that's it for the spheres. If I missed anything big let me know in the comments and I'll add it to the post (if they're not literal monsters).

Thanks for reading and hope this helps you connect a bit better with the OSR community.

Each point of light is a blog post waiting to be read

6 comments:

  1. Nice round up. I wonder are there any particular podcasts or youtube channels that are on topic and have either associated forums/discord or else constructive comment stacks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a whole podcast AND YouTube OSR scene out there. Maybe I'll write about that too.

      Delete
    2. I eternally hunger for liveplays. Please do.

      Delete
  2. Too bad the OSR Discord is a toxic hellhole.
    The LotFP Discord is pretty chill, albeit not so active.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been shit on in the OSR discord but it's nowhere near as bad as twitter. I do wish the LotFP was a bit more active as well.

      Delete