Sunday, December 12, 2021

Campaign Map Building 01


Land of Confusion Base Map

The above is the starting map I drew up a couple of hours before my session last week using Worldographer and this blogpost by Melan as a guide. 

I started the campaign off in Hex 0804 which houses the Fell Temple of the Baboon God. A basic dungeon I wrote up using the procedures found in Old School Essentials. The players returned to Hex 0905 at the end of the session which contains the starting town of Gillamore. In session two the players wanted the visit the Northern River Temple in Hex 0703, but got stuck in Hex 0904 where they encountered slavers (random encounter roll) who were on their way back to the City-State of Nostia in Hex 1107. They slaughtered the slavers, freed the slaves and claimed the slaver's treasure as their own. They once again returned to Gillamoor to carouse and hire new retainers. So two sessions so far and they've only been in 3 hexes, a little content goes a long way.

After my 2nd session I decided to fill out my map some more using the stocking method outlined in the simple Hex Guide I linked to earlier.

The guide says to roll 2d12 for 6-mile hexes for Ruins & Lair but I changed it to 3 to add a wildcard with Wonders & Vignettes.

HEX STOCKING METHOD
Roll 3d12 different color dice. On a "1" stock the hex as per the table below.

DICE 1--WONDER [Triangle] or VIGNETTE [Triangle w/ Circle]
DICE 2--RUINS [Square] or STRONGHOLD [Square w/ Circle]
DICE 3--LAIR [Circle] or SETTLEMENT [Circle w/ Circle]

You can roll a dice or just choose which content the hex has.

After rolling the above for each hex I ended up with the following map.

Was pretty surprised that HEXES 0305, 0905, & 1107 were hits considering they were already settlements so I decided 0305 would be the hidden lair of an Ancient Sorceress turned Demon, and 905 would be the lair (palace) of the Sorcerer King. Haven't decided what's in 0905 yet, first instinct is thieves' guild. At first I wasn't going to roll for the ocean portions but was surprised at all the hits I got. I think 1203 is for sure going to be Crap people

OH yeah before I forget to write it down, I based the map off my home town of Los Angeles. 

Orange hexes are Chaparral terrains.
Red are mountains.
Purple are wetlands.
Pink are Swamps.
Teal are Forests.
Brown are hills.
Green are grasslands.

But yeah, I'm having a great time keying this map and I can't wait for my next Land of Confusion session. I'll post my full Hex Map Key on the blog when I finish it. Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. I love seeing the renewed interest in hexmaps that seems to be spreading out from Melan's post. I'm inspired to try one of my own! This one looks like great fun, so please do post again when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see your take on this! And I'll defiantly post the finished hex key when I'm done.

      Delete
  2. Cool! What are wonders and vignettes in this method? Small things of interest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Small scenes, like a girl dancing to the tune of a flute-playing demon in a ghost town (The Dying Earth book). While wonders I think will be things like an ancient primordial Tar-pit or a Terraformer on the verge of completing it's task. Or a healing hot spring. Things like that.

      Delete