Sunday, May 2, 2021

Megadungeon Dreams

Megadungeon like dis.

During the pandemic I've become obsessed with running a "traditional" vanilla d&d campaign. And one facet of that I've really wanted to try was creating a Megadungeon. I've journeyed down the blog rabbit-hole about megadungeons' (especially this page) and have started jotting down some of the things I would want to see in a google doc. Thought I should share some of what I have and maybe I'll even chronicle my megadungeon journey on my blog here, from inception to play. 

Megadungeon Slush Idea Pile [VERY ROUGH]

  • "reverse skyscrapper shaped" The dungeon is modern-esque but still fantasy, maybe shaped like hive from the Resident Evil movie. Has rusted pipes and furnaces, very rusted ala Silent Hill's otherworld. Very Mythic Underworld and weird. 
  • DRAGONS on random encounter roll “2”. [Stolen from Papers & Pencils blog]
  • LOTS ‘o’ Undead.
  • Dungeon Worshipers/Cultists
  • Dungeon Gnomes: Repair’s the dungeon, made of clay & fueled by miasma
  • Dungeon Fruit: Bestows dungeon blessing (see in dark, open stuck doors, etc) must make a save vs spells or become charmed by the dungeon. Cultivated by the Crass Clown.
  • Dungeon Miasma
  • Dungeon’s Curse: Those who die in the dungeon become an undead in 2d6 turns. A bless spell permanently prevents the corpse from rising.
  • Rival Adventuring Parties [Alignment Matters]
  • The Crass Clown serves as the dungeon’s custodian. The Crass Clown goes about the dungeon removing adventurer’s corpses, resets traps and places treasure. 6 hands, two of which (“hand-feet”) maneuvers the creaky unicycle that is his lower half. Wears the Crown of Gambles (Crown with d6 shaped gems), wields a Bubblegum Laser Gun (shoots bubble made of gum).
  • Floor Demons [Bosses] that match level/section theme.
  • Mad M-U’s.
  • Hall Of Doors, Section with a ton of doors.
  • Insect Level/section
  • Comically large pile of shit with 2000 copper coins painted gold within
  • Golems
  • Mortician’s Hide-away. Resurrection possibility, worship God of Death.
  • Gallery of Faces [That creepy face room from FF9] Can ask 1 question about the dungeon and the faces will answer truthfully. Requires tribute (a face?).
  • Great Fairy Rooms [Huge weird naked woman ala Legend of Zelda].
  • Madfolk/Vagrants [Upper floors only]

I'll probably come back and upgrade this went I have more ideas. 

5 comments:

  1. When you put this together, you might consider entering it in the Megadungeon Game Jam over on itch.

    https://itch.io/jam/megadungeon-jam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great suggestion, thank you. I'll look into it.

      Delete
  2. Love this. The clay gnomes and crass clown are an interesting dichotomy. Both are tending to the dungeon in a certain way, but not in the exact same way. Definitely would make me want to try to pit the gnomes against the clown to defeat him and take all the treasure he's been placing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I have a very vivid image of the Crass Clown in my head, damn my lack of artistic talent to bring it to live lol.

      Delete